Attending an EPSO Computer Based Test (CBT) is a daunting task for most. Apart from actually finding an appropriate site in one of the many testing centres around Europe, you have to work out how to get there as well, bearing in mind that this part of the EPSO application is not refunded back to you. And this is before you even start taking the tests! In this blog we will go through what you can expect at the CBT test and how best you can prepare for it.
EPSO Computer-Based Tests PreparationUnlike regular computer based tests for job positions that are taken over the internet, the EPSO computer based tests are taken at a Prometric testing centre. The lengths that Prometric go use to ensure that it is solely you who takes the tests are highly unusual. It is almost like checking in at the airport in some cases. We will go through them below but it is important to just grin and bear it. The EPSO CBT is a hard set of tests that you need your full attention for. Don't waste energy being offended by the steps that you have to endure before you get to the testing room. In fact, if possible try to view it as a reassurance that if you have fully prepared for the epso tests, you will be rewarded because you will know that no-one else could have cheated the system in any way.
EPSO Exams Preparation: Some rules of the CBT testing centreKnowing how to prepare to prepare for the the EPSO computer based tests is important as it will save you time and give you the best chance of success. Here are some of the rules and regulations that are in force when attending the EPSO computer based tests:
- You must ensure that you bring the correct form of identification. This is normally your passport, ID card or driving licence.
- You are not allowed to talk to any other candidates or look at their screens.
- You are given a locker to store all your belongings; this means everything including your phone and hanging jewellery.
- You will be scanned with a metal detector wand prior to every time you enter the testing room.
- You are not allowed to bring anything into the EPSO CBT testing room.
- You will be monitored the entire time you are at the testing centre.
Preparing your mindIt has been said that aptitude level cannot be increased. However, research has shown that preparation for psychometric and aptitude tests increases performance and allows you to show your real skill level. In order to demonstrate your aptitude level, you need to know what is coming and have the tools in place so you can show your skills and demonstrate your aptitude level in the EPSO tests. Hence the most important tip before taking the EPSO tests is to practice ones that are similar in nature and difficulty. Further tips include:
- Know the test: By knowing how many times a text or table appears in the test you can spend a bit more time understanding it more fully so that you will answer the second and third question more quickly. For example, in both the numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning test it isn’t uncommon for there to be four separate questions for one table. There are other aspects to these tests including the amount of time you can spend on each question, the best way to answer them and how to approach the CBT to ensure you do yourself justice. Check out the EPSO AD and AST computer based test pages to gain vital information on them.
- Try to relax: Yes, it’s hard when you feel this way when you feel that your whole future is at stake but if you can take the EPSO computer-based tests when you are in a relaxed state you will perform better. Hence try as best you can to relax before the tests and don’t be intimidated by what you are about to do.
- Don't over cram before your EPSO test: Some of the concepts that you will encounter are different to your normal way of thinking. Knowing each of these methods before by taking practice tests slowly and carefully, ensuring that you are fully cognisant of the question and the correct method of answering is the way to prepare. By trying to “stuff” your brain with information you can confuse yourself and end up not doing your abilities justice.
- Practice and practice some more: Almost everything that you do is bettered by practice. Practice gives you understanding and confidence as well. The more you practice the better you will perform. FACT!
Preparing your bodyApart from practicing and preparing for these tests, you also have to prepare to ensure you are giving your best performance on the day. Therefore make sure that you are well rested before taking the EPSO computer-based tests. Moreover, good organisation goes a long way to be fully prepared. Some other important things to remember include:
- Make sure you know where the centre is. This may seem obvious but often the testing centres are tucked away in difficult to find places. Therefore make sure you know exactly where you are going, use google street view to give yourself a feel of the place and guarantee that you arrive at least 10 minutes before you need to be there.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Never underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep. It refreshes your mind and allows you to think more clearly.
- Make sure you know the rules of the EPSO CBT testing centre. You will be asked to provide ID as well as the other rules mentioned above.
- Use what you have. At the testing centre you will be given materials that you can use to assist you in answering the questions. Use them! They help you avoid mistakes and can also focus your mind more easily. Often people make silly mistakes in the numerical reasoning tests simply because they haven’t rounded something up correctly or put the decimal in the wrong place. By using the equipment that you have been given, you will almost definitely avoid these pitfalls.
Keeping the goal in mindOne of the best ways to deal with the stress of the EPSO tests is to remember what you are aiming for. Keeping your goals in mind is a powerful tool and allows you to focus and stay motivated to the cause. Here are some of the benefits and reasons why so many people apply to work for the European Union:
- Working in a multicultural environment.
- Job security.
- Have a say in the future of life in the European Union.
- Living in Brussels or Luxembourg.
- Working in a dynamic environment.
- Continual learning.
- Get a feel of what’s really going on in European life.
The JobTestPrep ChoiceHere at JobTestPrep we have helped thousands of potentially successful applicants succeed in their respective psychometric tests. We hope you have enjoyed this blog and look forward to helping you on your journey to the EPSO reserve list.
~ JobTestPrep Team ~