These questions are usually open ended questions that have a different angle to them, and are less common than the questions above on an application form. These questions ask for more information about your personality and it may prove difficult to find the balance in answering them.
The following questions are all on one or more application forms:
- Tell us why should we employ you?
- What's your biggest regret?
- Tell us about your weaknesses.
- Please outline your interests, hobbies and travel experiences. (Berwin Leighton Paisner)
- What has been your most significant achievement to date, and why?
- Aside from work and study, what motivates you and why? (Burges Salmon)
- Be honest about what your weaknesses are.
- Be original - “I'm a perfectionist” is an answer that everyone gives, you want to show that you are different.
- Be balanced. List a weakness, and say what you are doing to correct it.
- Think about why you chose the path you took, why you regret it, and what you have learnt from the experience.
- Do your research before you start to answer the question.
These questions are about selling yourself. Freshfields advise that you provide evidence wherever you can for your achievements. So if you trained up for and ran a marathon, name the marathon (but giving your time is too much information). If space is short, the evidence is enough without giving any more detail about how it taught you discipline and sticking power, and whatever else.
Table of Contents
- Training Contract and Vacation Scheme Application Tips
- Before You Start Your Law Firm Vacation Scheme or Training Contract Application Form
- Common Law Questions on Your Law Firm Application Form
- How to Answer About Your Questions
- Answering Competency Questions
- Commercial Law Questions and Answers
- Filling in Your Work Experience
- Word Limits
- How to Write a Law Cover Letter
- At the End of Your Law Firm Application Form
- Download the complete guide to vacation schemes and training contracts applications
~ JobTestPrep Team ~