When looking to work for a law firm, first check whether they have any advice booklets on how to fill in the application form. This is them telling you what they expect to see in your application, so make sure you listen.
Something to Think AboutHerbert Smith Freehills advise applicants to think about the following before they start on the law firm recruitment process:
- What do you enjoy/ dislike?
- What are you good at?
- What have you done before and what did you enjoy about it?
- Do you enjoy teamwork or working on your own?
- Do you want to embark on further study?
- Are you prepared to travel/ be flexible?
- Do you want to work for an organisation that other people have heard of?
- In what sort of environment do you feel most comfortable?
- For what size of organisation do you want to work?
- How much training and development support do you want from your employer?
- Do you want a structured development programme?
- And most importantly, why do you want this job?
- Do your research before you start the form.
Tips Before You Start
- Research the company you are applying to before you start filling in the form.
- Ensure you know the core values, skills or competencies the firm are looking for before you start.
- Follow the instructions on the form!
- You want to work in law. Surely you understand that evidence is key! Back everything up with evidence as far as you can.
- Use the form as an opportunity to demonstrate your enthusiasm for working with this firm.
Things To Remember Whilst Completing the Form
- Tailor your form to the company you are applying to, using your research findings.
- Prepare answers fully before putting them in the form. When putting them in the form, be careful of any automatic format changes.
- Take care with your spelling and grammar. Poor spelling or grammar do not create a favourable impression, and can be interpreted as a lack of attention to detail- a core skill for any lawyer.
- Be true to yourself - you will be asked about the information on your application form further down the process.
- Elaborate where you have space. For example, explain why your second year exam results are so much better than your first year results- the issues you identified and corrected, which led to a better performance second time around.
Table of Contents
- Training Contract and Vacation Scheme Application Tips
- Before You Start Your Law Firm Vacation Scheme or Training Contract Application Form
- Common Law Questions on Your Law Firm Application Form
- How to Answer About Your Questions
- Answering Competency Questions
- Commercial Law Questions and Answers
- Filling in Your Work Experience
- Word Limits
- How to Write a Law Cover Letter
- At the End of Your Law Firm Application Form
- Download the complete guide to vacation schemes and training contracts applications
~ JobTestPrep Team ~